×

Sexton receives 2-year no contact order

ALPENA — Alpena Municipal Council member Shawn Sexton has reached an agreement over his misdemeanor stalking charges.

He appeared in 88th District Court Tuesday for a status conference and it was there it was announced Sexton had agreed to accept a two-year no contact order that will prohibit contact with his ex-wife and a male friend. The order won’t be finalized until today when all the parties involved sign it after a few changes are made to it that will allow for Sexton to pick up and drop off his children.

Alcona County Prosecutor Tom Weichel, who handled the case after Alpena County Prosecutor Ed Black recused himself, said if Sexton shows any type of unacceptable behavior it would violate the no-contact order and he could face an aggravated stalking charge, which is a felony.

“There is language included that states specifically that there will be no intimidating, threatening or harassing behavior,” Weichel said. “He can pull in the driveway, the kids can come out, but there can be no face-to-face contact with victims.”

Weichel said the two people Sexton allegedly harassed are his ex-wife, Sue, and her male companion, Thane Whitscell. Any text message and or email correspondence regarding the children will be saved in a hard file to evaluate the content over the course of the two years.

In a prepared statement Sexton said any disagreements there were with his ex-wife and Whitscell were blown out of proportion and all he was doing was expressing concern about his children when the stalking charges were made.

“As those who know me already understand, I have done absolutely nothing to be ashamed of nor have I done anything even remotely considered misdemeanor stalking,” Sexton said. “The charges were the result of an obsessive, mean spirited and misguided response to what most people would consider normal parenting dialogue, frustrations and concerns. I believed I had a right to honest opinions; my accusers did not.”

In addition Sexton said he was confident he would have been cleared of any wrongdoing if the matter had went to trial, but he was ready to put the matter behind him because of the coverage it was receiving.

“To leave this in doubt while waiting for a trial, and the media attention that comes with it, isn’t fair to me, my family and the organizations I belong to,” he said in his statement.

Sexton said he had a lot of support that helped him through the ordeal and it has helped him to become closer to the community than he was already.

“I’d like people to know I’ve truly felt grateful the last several months instead of angry or victimized. I’ve been touched by the support of friends, found new tribes and discovered love and support in this community I wouldn’t have known otherwise,” he said. “I suspect my accusers simply wanted to drive me away from Alpena. Instead, this experience has solidified the many reasons why I am happy to call Alpena home for me and my children. Thank you.”

Weichel said the deal was made possible because Sexton had no contact with his ex-wife or Whitscell after his arrest and as the matter made its way though court. He said he hopes that continues.

“Our goal in this was to stop the threatening and harassing behavior that had been occurring,” he said. “That’s what this should do. If he doesn’t he’ll be looking at felony charges.”

Steve Schulwitz can be reached via email at sschulwitz@thealpenanews.com or by phone at 358-5689. Follow Steve on Twitter ss_alpenanews.

Newsletter

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *
   

Starting at $3.50/week.

Subscribe Today