×

John Male expected to head to trial, Lozen to be examined

News Photo by Reagan Voetberg Maple Ridge Township Supervisor John Male is seen attending a hearing on Wednesday in the 88th District Court in Alpena.

ALPENA — Maple Ridge Township Supervisor John Male, 72, is expected to head to trial, Defense Attorney Dave Funk said at a final status conference hearing on Wednesday in the 88th District Court in Alpena.

Male is charged with one count of operating a vehicle while intoxicated, one count of open intoxicants in a vehicle, one count of disorderly person drunk and causing a public disturbance, and one count of trespassing for an incident that occurred on Aug. 23.

He had an additional charge of trespassing added for an incident that occurred on June 20.

Male would need to have two trials for the two different incidents. He might have a bench trial rather than a jury trial for the offenses, which means the judge would decide whether he is guilty of the charges or not.

Male asked Judge Alan Curtis whether there was a way to get his driver’s license back to which Curtis responded that he has no control over granting or revoking driver’s licenses. He said if Male needs a photo identification for anything, he can obtain a Michigan identification card.

Judge Alan Curtis said that a date would be set for a trial call and a jury trial.

SHAUN LOZEN

Shaun Lozen, 46, is charged with two counts of assault with intent to murder, five counts of assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder, one count of interference with electronic communications causing injury/death, one count of domestic violence aggravated, and four counts of domestic violence.

Lozen was arraigned on May 11 according to MiCourt. He was released from jail on bond that same day.

The offense date listed for the charges is Jan. 14, 2021.

On Tuesday, Lozen had a probable cause hearing in the 88th District Court in Alpena. Lozen, his attorney, Deanna Kelley, and Co-Counsel David Kramer appeared via Zoom.

Alpena County Prosecuting Attorney Cynthia Muszynski said that discovery had been sent to the defense attorneys.

Kramer said he had not received the discovery yet, but expected it to be “voluminous.”

Muszynski said that there are TikTok videos that the Alpena Police Department has in their possession that have not been sent to the prosecutor’s office yet due to technical difficulties. She said they are trying to figure out a way to send the videos so that they can be viewed and downloaded.

A preliminary examination date is set for July 1 at 1:20 p.m.

Reagan Voetberg can be reached at 989-358-5683 or rvoetberg@TheAlpenaNews.com.

Newsletter

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *
   

Starting at $3.50/week.

Subscribe Today