Celebrate America Recycling Day every day

America Recycling Day celebrates and promotes recycling in the U.S. and falls on Nov. 15 each year.

On this day, people are encouraged to spread the word about the benefits of recycling and to practice recycling themselves.

This holiday was created by the National Recycling Coalition in 1997. In 2009, the holiday became an integral part of the Keep America Beautiful Campaign.

Some recycling facts: 60% of trash can be recycled. Aluminum cans are recyclable endlessly. If everyone recycled their newspapers, 200 million trees could be saved each year. The average American uses almost 700 pounds of paper each year, most of which is just thrown away. Americans throw away 35 billion plastic bottles each year. Only 25% is recycled. If the other 75% was recycled, we could save 1 billion gallons of oil and 44 million cubic yards of landfill space annually. Each year in America, we use 100 billion plastic and 10 billion paper grocery bags, requiring 12 million barrels of oil and 14 million trees. In the landfill, these single-use bags take up to 1,000 years to degrade.

It’s worth repeating: By the year 2050 there will be more plastic in our rivers, streams, lakes, and oceans than there are marine animals if we continue our ways. If everyone just simply brings back your plastic bags to Walmart and Meijer when they go shopping, just think of the plastic we would save.

The simplest way to observe this holiday is just by looking at what you throw away and make a commitment to recycle more. Encourage your friends and neighbors also. There are nine locations around Alpena County for residents to recycle. It takes a little effort to recycle, but in the end we can make this planet a better place to live now and in the future.




Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)