We can help refugees, but not disabled vets?

I read today Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s administration quietly launched back in October a program to give up to $500 per month for up to 12 months to migrants and refugees for rent assistance. I guess this was done without input from the state Legislature.

What is going on in our state and country?

For the past few months, I have been trying to get the status of the disabled veteran license plate changed from an accessory plate to what it really is: a disabled plate with the ability to park in handicap parking. In this country, 26 states require a veteran to be 100% disabled to get the plate. One hundred percent is considered total and permanently disabled. Only two states do not let you park in handicap: Michigan and Nebraska.

I have been trying to change Michigan.

Fourteen other states issue plates being less than 100% and allow you to park in handicap.

I contacted the governor, my state senator, my state representative, and the secretary of state. The state rep tried but the secretary of state wants nothing to do with it. The governor told me that if I could get a bill to her desk, she would consider signing it.

After reading about the money given to migrants and refugees, why can’t her administration just change the plate? What does our secretary of state have against 100% service-connected disabled veterans?

Why do they want to ticket and take money from disabled veterans while giving money to migrants and refugees?

It sounds like they care more about migrants and refugees than people that served and were injured in the line of duty.

And changing the status of the plate would not cost taxpayers any money, either. It would just allow 100% service-connected disabled veterans access to handicap parking.




Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $2.99/week.

Subscribe Today