No one injured in house fire on Jefferson Street

Courtesy Photo A house with significant fire damage is seen on Monday in this photo provided by the Alpena Fire Department. No one was injured in the house fire.

ALPENA — No injuries were reported after a house fire on Jefferson Street near 5th Avenue on Monday afternoon, but the house sustained significant damage, according to a press release from the Alpena Fire Department.

The press release said firefighters were able to contain the fire to the rear corner of the house, where the blaze did considerable damage to the roof, attic, and exterior wall.

No one was home at the time the fire broke out. Two dogs and two rabbits were successfully rescued.

According to the press release, firefighters suspect that a chimney fire started the blaze. It is believed that the chimney fire went unnoticed and breached the chimney system to the exterior wall of the building.

Seven on-duty personnel made the initial response and 11 off-duty personnel reported to assist, for a total of 18 Alpena Fire Department personnel on scene.

News Photo by Temi Fadayomi Alpena Fire Department responds to a fire on Jefferson Street on Monday.

In addition to the fire department, the Alpena Police Department, Alpena Combat Readiness Training Center Fire Department, MyMichigan Emergency Medical Services, Alpena Power Co., and the Alpena County Central Dispatch 911 Center also assisted with the fire.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today