×

Stay safe this Christmas

Don’t let an accident ruin your Christmas.

State Fire Marshal Kevin Sehlmeyer reminds residents to be careful this holiday season. Specifically, he reminds us of these statistics:

∫ More than a third of home decoration fires are started by candles.

∫ 42 percent of decoration fires happen because decorations are placed too close to a heat source.

∫ One of every three home Christmas tree fires are caused by electrical problems.

∫ A heat source too close to the tree causes roughly one in every four fires.

∫ Nearly 50 percent of all space heater fires involve electric space heaters.

With those thoughts in mind, he suggested residents:

∫ Choose a fresh tree and water it daily.

∫ Place the tree away from any exit and at least three feet from any heat source (fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights).

∫ Never use lit candles to decorate a tree.

∫ Use lights that are listed by a qualified testing laboratory for indoor or outdoor use appropriately.

∫ Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Read manufacturers’ instructions for the maximum number of light strands to connect.

∫ Don’t overload electrical outlets or electrical outlet strips.

∫ Always turn off tree lights and extinguish candles when going to bed or leaving your home.

This Christmas, let’s all be safe, rather than sorry.

(THE ALPENA NEWS)

Newsletter

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
   

Starting at $4.75/week.

Subscribe Today