News Photo by Crystal Nelson
Alpena County Commissioner Marty Thomson visits with other members of the county’s Parks Committee on March 3 in the Howard Male Conference Room in Alpena.
ALPENA — Sunshine Week is an annual celebration of government transparency laws and the chance to advocate for more government openness.
This year, The News got back to basics and talked to local officials about their jobs and the limits on their power.
In case you missed it, here’s The News’ complete series:
* “Councils, staffs work together for towns“
* “What’s it take to run a township? It depends“
* “County governments have a role in many things“
* “School boards rely on each other, staff“
* “Court ‘requires an ensemble cast’“
* “Prosecutors seek justice“
* “OPINION: Happy Sunshine Week“
* “OPINION: Government transparency laws must change“