1 more Alpena County resident infected
168 tested by Guard last week, results could take 2 weeks to be made public
ALPENA — One more Alpena County resident is infected with COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, District Health Department No. 4 reported today.
That brings 105 the number of infected county residents since the virus hit Michigan in mid-March.
Twelve Alpena County residents have died while infected with the virus.
Thus far, 82 Alpena County residents have recovered.
Across Northeast Michigan, five Montmorency County residents, 18 Alcona County residents, and 12 Presque Isle County residents have been infected since mid-March.
One Alcona County resident has died.
Health officials suspect there could be an increase in the number of positive tests coming in the next several weeks after a free drive-thru testing event on Friday in Alpena.
Health Officer Denise Bryan said 168 people were tested then, and their results could be available in the next several days. It could take up to 14 days before the results are received by the Health Department, she said.
Bryan said she was pleased with how the National Guard conducted the testing and in the turnout of people, despite the hot weather that day.
“I was hoping to test 100 people with all of the work and time we put into this, so I’m really happy with the numbers and with how things went,” she said.
Bryan said there is a chance the National Guard could return in about a month to do more testing, but that will depend on whether tests are available and if the Guard is able to return.
“There are availability issues, and we just need to see if we can make things line up,” she said.
The state reported 179 new cases Monday and another seven deaths. In all 61,409 Michiganders tested positive for the virus, of which 5,853 have died.
Health officials continue to remind people to wash their hands frequently and avoid touching their face. It is also recommended people wear masks while in public to limited the spread of the coronavirus.