Alcona gains important North Star League win over Oscoda

News Photo by James Andersen Alcona's Joel Steiner (14) jumps to avoid Oscoda keeper Jacob Post and defender Dillon Gaines (19) after a scoring chance in the first half of a North Star League soccer game on Monday at Alcona High School.

LINCOLN–It’s been quite awhile since the Alcona soccer team lost to Oscoda and the Tigers did what they need to on Monday to keep it that way.

Brett Nelson and Joel Steiner each scored and Alcona defeated Oscoda 4-1 in a North Star League game at Alcona High School.

Josh Kilbourn and Elliot Dubuque each added a goal for the Tigers (6-1) who gained an important victory early in the season. For the last several years, Oscoda and Alcona have battled to determine the North Star League champion and Monday’s win puts the Tigers out in front in their quest for another league title.

“My seniors have not lost to Oscoda and they didn’t want to lose tonight. We’ve beaten them the last three years in a row,” Alcona coach Tim Munro said. “It’s always physical with Oscoda, they play tough against us and it was a good ball game.”

Goals from Nelson and Dubuque in the first five minutes of the game put the Tigers out in front early. But the game’s outcome wasn’t settled that quickly. Oscoda converted a penalty kick to cut the lead in half about 12 minutes in and tested Alcona several times the rest of the way.

“We came out of the box tonight and got two quick goals. The kids played together,” Munro said. “They got their PK and that was the only goal they scored. They were on the ball after that. I thought our boys laid back a little bit and thought it was going to be an easy win. But my team stepped it up in the second half.”

Gabe Kaelstrom put Oscoda on the board 12 minutes in on a penalty kick that beat Alcona keeper Aidan Wrobel in the lower left corner.

Alcona had several quality chances in the first half after their early goals, but couldn’t convert. With about 15 minutes left, Travis Buurma redirected a corner kick by Nelson with a header that couldn’t quite get by Oscoda keeper Jacob Post.

About a minute later, Nelson hit Post in the hands with a shot.

Oscoda had a chance to tie the game with about 1:15 left when the Owls caught Wrobel out of position, but couldn’t convert on an open net chance.

Wrobel finished the night with seven saves including a big one with nine minutes left when Aiden Backstrom attempted a bicycle kick.

Kilbourn gave Alcona some cushion with 12 minutes left when he kicked a ball out of the air past Post into the right corner with 12 minutes left. Steiner recorded Alcona’s final goal of the night with eight minutes remaining, scoring when the ball slipped out of Post’s hands and into the net.

Nelson scored early in the game, beating Post in the right corner. Less than two minutes later, Dubuque connected with a shot to the opposite corner.

Oscoda missed a golden opportunity early in the second half after Michael Wrona bounced a shot off the crossbar and no one was there to put home the rebound.

The Owls were dealt a setback when Kaelstrom received two second half yellow cards. Kaelstrom got the first about five minutes into the second half and received the second about 15 minutes into the frame, forcing Oscoda to play shorthanded the rest of the way.