Red Wings’ multiple comebacks fall short in 4-3 OT loss at Chicago Blackhawks

Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Michal Kempny (6) and Detroit Red Wings left wing Justin Abdelkader (8) work for the puck during the second period of an NHL hockey game Tuesday, Jan. 10, 2017, in Chicago. (AP Photo/Matt Marton)

Associated Press
CHICAGO — A nifty shot by Duncan Keith helped the Chicago Blackhawks keep rolling despite giving up two leads.
Keith scored a power-play goal 38 seconds into overtime, lifting Chicago to a 4-3 win over the Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday night for the Blackhawks’ fourth straight victory.
Keith, who also had an assist, beat Petr Mrazek with a rising screened drive from the top of the slot. The man advantage was set up when Justin Abdelkader was called for boarding Chicago’s Niklas Hjalmarsson with 15.2 seconds left in the third.
It was just the second goal this season for Keith, who was named to the All-Star team earlier in the day for the fourth time in his career.
Richard Panik also had a goal and assist for Chicago, while Brian Campbell and former Michigan Tech player Tanner Kero each scored. Corey Crawford stopped 33 shots.
Andreas Athanasiou, Tomas Tatar and Luke Glendening had Detroit’s goals. Mrazek had 39 saves as the Red Wings fell to 2-2-2 on a seven-game road trip.
Penalties hurt the Red Wings. Chicago was 2 for 6 with the advantage and got added momentum from the chances. Detroit failed on its lone power play.
Abdelkader, who returned after missing 16 games with a knee injury, said he and his team were happy with the point.
“It’s never a good feeling, but that’s how it goes,” Abdelkader said. “We took too many penalties tonight. but we found a way to battle back.”
Kero’s goal was his first in nine games since his recall from Rockford of the AHL.
Athanasiou, benched at Anaheim on Jan. 4, has responded with three goals and six points in his last three games.
Buoyed by three power plays, the Blackhawks dominated the first period and led 2-0 after 20 minutes on goals 26 seconds apart by Campbell and Panik.
“I thought (penalties) hurt us in the first period,” Detroit coach Jeff Blashill said.
It was 3-all after two as Detroit took charge in the middle period.
Athanasiou cut it it to 2-1 at 1:37 after Chicago’s Trevor van Riemsdyk turned over the puck behind the net to Thomas Vanek. Vanek fed it to Athanasiou at the left side of the slot and he ripped a rising shot over Crawford’s glove.