HILLMAN - The Hillman Village Council discussed the replacement of a submersible motor in one of the village well pumps. The pump is only four years old, and has a short in it which caused the motor to break.
"The short keeps kicking out the breaker," Village Manager Dave Post said. "There is only one pump at that well, but there are two wells in the area."
The cost for the replacement and equipment is nearly $10,000, which would include the new motor, pump bowl, wiring and heat shrink kit, along with the labor and installation. The Department of Public Works will be checking to see if the pump had a warranty that could save some of the cost.
Village President Myron McIntire said all the ads for the village walkable community placemats had been sold.
"There are still a few we are waiting on artwork for," McIntire said. "Then we will have an example placemat made and the board will take a look at it and decide if there are changes that need to be made, or if we can go ahead and have them printed."
The placemats feature the trails in the community, and also have numbers corresponding to the downtown businesses that advertised on the mats, making it easier for anyone using the trials to find places around town.
Around 30,000 placemats will be printed and distributed to area businesses for use.
In other business:
* the village is having the lot it purchased by the water tower surveyed to decide how to split the lots for sale.
* council members approved three candidates to serve on the Michigan Municipal League Workman's Compensation Board. Governing bodies need to vote for the candidates to approve them to sit on the board.
* village taxes were mailed out last week, with taxes for 2014 totaling $198,868.66.
* the council approved the bills at a cost of $49,779, which included bond payments.
* members discussed the need for DPW workers to set barricades in the proper locations for all of the Fourth of July events downtown this weekend, including the bridge walk and car show.
Nicole Grulke can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 358-5687. Follow Nicole on Twitter @ng_alpenanews.