ALPENA - A new grocery store that wants to open in the current Staples store is taking another shot at getting Alpena County Road Commission approval to get an access to the store via Bagley Street.
ALDI Corporation has filed a request with the road commission to share an entrance with Blarney Castle, which owns the mini-mart on the corner of M-32 and Bagley Street, and then filter it back to the store. Several months ago the road commission denied a similar request that could have made a separate entrance between R.A. Townsend and the gas station. Managing Director Larry Orcutt said the first request was denied because the new entrance would be too close to others and drivers wishing to turn into the drive would face a lot of traffic.
"It was a safety issue," Orcutt said. "There is already a bottleneck of traffic there and it was just going to be too close to the light to be able to do and not have safety concerns."
Orcutt said he is not sure if Blarney Castle and Aldi have an agreement in place to share the existing drive, but the road commission board will review the request and decide on the appropriate action at an upcoming meeting.
In other business:
* Orcutt said the two road projects on Werth Road are nearing completion and once done the total cost will be approximately $1.3 million.
* plans are being made to reconstruct Wayne Road from US-23 South to Piper Road.
* the board approved road contracts with Alpena County Parks Commission, Green Township, Long Rapids Township, Ossineke Township and Wellington Township.
* the next road commission meeting is scheduled for July 1 at 3 p.m. at the county garage.
* the board voted to contact members of the Michigan Senate to encourage them to reconsider a package of nine bills that would raise more than $700 million for road work around the state. The package easily passed through the House, but was voted down in the Senate.
Steve Schulwitz can be reached via email at email@example.com or by phone at 358-5689. Follow Steve on Twitter ss_alpenanews. Read his blog, Upon Further Review ... at www.thealpenanews.com.