Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS
 
 
 

Fire destroys rental home; man loses all belongings

November 28, 2013
Betsy Lehndorff , The Alpena News

A Green Township man lost his rental home and all of his belongings Thanksgiving Day after an electric heater shorted out.

The stick-built home was a total loss, but no one was injured, Green Township Fire Chief Matt Cohoon said Thursday.

The fire was reported by a passerby around 1:40 p.m. at Duncan and Cousineau roads, with flames coming through the roof, Cohoon said.

The tenant, who is in his 20s, was attending a Thanksgiving dinner in Hillman, about 20 minutes away, and rushed back to his home when he was notified.

"He was devastated," Cohoon said. "Everything he owned was in it."

The Salvation Army responded to provide the man with a place to stay, and residents in the area will help him out, Cohoon said. Eight firefighters from Green Township and four from Long Rapids spent 2 1/2 hours putting out the fire.

Betsy Lehndorff can be reached via email at blehndorff@thealpenanews.com or by phone at 358-5693. Follow Betsy on Twitter @bl_alpenanews.

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web