Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS
 
 
 

Reductions to refuse cause cuts

November 9, 2012
Steve Schulwitz - News Staff Writer , The Alpena News

ATLANTA - In 2011 the Montmorency-Oscoda-Alpena Solid Waste Authority received 190,000 cubic yards of trash, and this year the landfill set its budget around the 170,000 cubic yards. During Friday's landfill meeting, however Administrator Sandy Cunningham told the commissioners the 2013 budget may have to be based on only 150,000 cubic yards, which would lead to a drop in revenue.

Alpena County Commissioner Lyle VanWormer said there are several factors that have led to the decline in the amount of refuse being taken to the landfill and when looking at the big picture the landfill is still in good shape financially compared to two years ago.

"I'm not real concerned about the drop, because last year we had a lot of outside projects where the waste came here, so we were a little higher," VanWormer said. "We will budget accordingly, but I think we will still be close to 160,000 this year and we'll do what we need to do for next years budget."

Alpena County Commissioner Cam Habermehl said he has a certain amount of concern about the decline in trash and the lost of revenue it presents. He said another concern he has is the fact Recovered Energy Resources,

"The number going down is a concern, but if the numbers go down you would think. I don't think it is going to hurt the landfill," Habermehl said. "We are doing pretty good and financially we are fine."

In other business:

Steve Schulwitz can be reached via e-mail at sschulwitz@thealpenanews.com or by phone at 358-5689.

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web