| || |
Let me give thanks
November 17, 2010 - Diane Speer
With Thanksgiving just around the corner, now seems like the opportune time to stop and give thanks for all things newspaper-related.
1. I'm very thankful that in this age of heavy reliance on electronic forms of media, readers still value our paper version of The Alpena News. Be it good, bad or otherwise, we continue to receive plenty of feedback from our readers letting us know that they are still reading us each and every day.
2. Again, in this age of economic turmoil, I'm thankful our newspaper still remains an important and viable business in Northeast Michigan. Though we face challenges just like every other business today, we don't ever plan on folding up shop. We may occasionally have to adapt and change with the times, but we are more than up to that task.
3. I'm thankful for a great staff. My immediate work world revolves around the editorial staff (there are 11 of us here in the newsroom) and each makes me glad to come into the office every day. They are all bright, dedicated and interesting people with which to spend a good chunk of my waking hours.
4. I'm thankful for all of the great people I get to deal with on my "beat" on a daily basis. I love the arts, and many of those I interact with in pursuit of news and photos share my passion for art, music, theatre and books - some of the very things that make Alpena such an outstanding community in which to live, work and play.
5. I'm thankful for news. There probably are plenty of other more interesting professions out there, but being in the know in the community in which you live - and getting to inform others about it - ranks pretty high on my list.
6. Most of all, I'm thankful for our long and rich history as Northeast Michigan's only daily newspaper. This is our 112th year of publication! Here's to many more stories to cover and many more years of publication ahead.
Next week, as Thanksgiving arrives, I'll probably switch my reasons for being thankful in a totally different direction - family, friends, health and an abundance of other blessings. But for now, I'm definitely thankful for all things newspaper-related.
No comments posted for this article.
Post a Comment
News, Blogs & Events Web