Alpena Fire Department extinguishes garage fire

Firefighters from the Alpena Fire Department believe a small structure fire that occurred Friday originated from a garbage can.

According to a press release at 1:07 p.m. the department was requested for a small structure fire at 216 S. Sixth Avenue. Upon arrival there was visible smoke and flames coming from the rear of an unattached garage building at the address.

According to the press release crews made a quick attack and knockdown of the fire with minimal structure damage contained to the outside siding and eaves.

Crews believe the fire was caused by improper disposal of smoking materials in the garbage can. Firefighters remained at the scene for 30 minutes ventilating the structure and for mop-up operations.

Firefighters wee assisted by the Alpena Police Department.